Associate Director, Downstream Process Development (South San Francisco, CA)
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is looking for a technical leader who will report to the Senior Director of Downstream Process Development. You will be working to develop new downstream processes to maximize our technology and enhance our internal and collaborative product development initiatives in a fast-paced environment.#Li-DNI
- Lead, mentor, coach and develop technical staff in all aspects of downstream process development, including protein purification, conjugation and new technology development.
- Design and execute to develop efficient and effective downstream recovery and purification processes.
- New technology development.
- Support authoring and review of relevant CMC sections of regulatory submissions (IND, INDa, BLA).
- Transfer downstream processes to Sutro’s manufacturing site, CMOs, and/or partner sites.
- Represent Downstream Process Development on cross-functional teams.
- Produce significant documents or publications (internal/external) supporting company policies and goals.
- Present information and data in both written and verbal form.
- BS, MS or PhD in chemical engineering, life sciences or equivalent with at least 10+ years (BS, MS) or 6-8+ years (PhD) of biopharmaceutical industry experience in protein purification (including multiple modes of chromatography, depth and membrane filtration and ultrafiltration/TFF). Extensive knowledge of product variant and process-related impurity removal strategies expected.
- Extensive experience in scaling up, transferring, and supporting purification processes from bench scale to pilot and/or commercial scale. Understanding of GMP requirements.
- Experience with statistical design of experiments, advanced data analysis, process validation and Quality by Design concepts.
- Experience with protein conjugation process chemistry and protein formulation is preferred, but not required.
- Strong ability in execution and driving for results independently.
- Detail oriented with good organizational skills and able to work in a high paced team environment to meet deadlines and prioritize work on multiple projects.
- At least 3+ years of experience supervising technical staff (direct and matrix management) with strong management and leadership skills.
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to build and maintain relationships with team members, partners, customers, and collaborators.
Sound exciting? Apply today and join our team!
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Sutro will consider requests for reasonable accommodations.
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe in fostering a culture that is inclusive and values diversity in background and opinions. Sutro Biopharma hires extraordinary individuals into every position in the company and is committed to the diversity of our team. Our company progresses without regard of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability or citizenship status. We are dedicated to creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and succeed together.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
We look forward to hearing from candidates who are interested in exploring opportunities with Sutro! Our People & Culture team/hiring managers are unable to respond and do not accept solicitations from third-party agencies.
Sutro Biopharma, Inc., located in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage drug discovery, development and manufacturing company. Using precise protein engineering and rational design, Sutro is advancing next-generation oncology therapeutics.
Sutro is dedicated to transforming the lives of cancer patients by creating medicines with improved therapeutic profiles for areas of unmet need. To date, Sutro’s platform has led to cytokine-based immuno-oncology therapies, ADCs, vaccines and bispecific antibodies directed at precedented targets in clinical indications where the current standard of care is suboptimal.
The platform allows it to accelerate discovery and development of potential first-in-class and best-in-class molecules through rapid and systematic evaluation of protein structure-activity relationships to create optimized homogeneous product candidates.
In addition to developing its own oncology pipeline, Sutro is collaborating with select pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discover and develop novel, next-generation therapeutics. As the pace of clinical development accelerates, Sutro and its partners are developing therapeutics designed to more efficiently kill tumors without harming healthy cells.