Sutro Biopharma is seeking a highly qualified computational chemist to build a structure-based drug design (SBDD) platform for our emerging medicinal chemistry team and to apply molecular modeling and computational chemistry techniques toward the advancement of our small-molecule drug discovery programs. The successful candidate will closely work together with our medicinal chemistry team to apply structure and ligand-based in silico methods to design molecules in support of all aspects of small molecule drug discovery ranging from lead identification to candidate selection.
- Serve as a lead computational chemist on several drug discovery projects and build a SBDD and modeling infrastructure to be implemented as an integrative component of our small molecule design projects.
- Partner with multidisciplinary and highly collaborative discovery teams to optimize/accelerate the development of novel drug candidates using advanced computational techniques.
- Support drug discovery projects by combining a deep understanding of theory and medicinal chemistry concepts with cutting-edge computational tools.
- Enhance our understanding of SAR from Ro5 and beyond Ro5 projects and influence the team strategy by generating and interpreting data using appropriate modeling techniques.
- Engage in virtual screening campaigns and in the development of pharmacophore models.
- Apply a variety of drug-design and computational chemistry methods to improve potency, selectivity, and ADME properties of lead compounds.
- Perform molecular dynamics simulations and build testable hypotheses regarding drug binding, SAR, and computational biophysics.
- Integrate data across multiple research disciplines to help shape medicinal chemistry strategy as projects develop.
- Maintain and develop working knowledge of contemporary computational chemistry methods and their use in ligand design and data analysis as applied to drug designs.
- Participate in interdisciplinary teams and external collaborators.
Education & Experience
- The position requires a PhD in computational chemistry or related discipline with 10+ years in the biotech/pharmaceutical industry.
- Advanced knowledge of medicinal and computational chemistry principles and knowledge of how to apply these techniques to drug discovery projects.
- Practical experience in structure-based drug design, including docking, homology modeling, molecular dynamics simulation, and free energy calculation; ligand-based drug design, including pharmacophore modeling, QSAR, 3D-QSAR, pharmacophore- or shape-based database searching, combinatorial library design, and target focused library construction.
- Specifically, a working knowledge of state-of-the-art modeling and cheminformatics suites such as those from Schrodinger, MOE, OpenEye, or ChemAxon, experience with docking tools such as Glide, GOLD or DOCK, and experience with data visualization & analysis tools like Vortex or Spotfire.
- A proven record of scientific leadership and innovation as demonstrated by publications, presentations, and / or patents.
- Excellent communication and organizational skills are required.
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, and stock options.