Director, Upstream Process Development (South San Francisco, CA)
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is looking for a technical leader who will report to the Senior Director of Upstream Process Development. While collaborating with cross-functional departments, you will play a key role in maximizing our technology and progressing our novel therapeutics. We are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of patients, both as individuals and as part of a team. #Li-DNI
- Lead team and define strategy to develop and improve all aspects of upstream platform process including fermentation, cell-free protein synthesis, and microbial extract spray drying processes to be scalable, manufacturable, and GMP ready
- Work with CDMOs and external partners/consultants to collaborate on strategy and oversee work packages toward platform development
- Drive results and report progress to management and major stakeholders
- Develop roadmap to implement platform process for specific pipeline assets
- Transfer upstream platform processes to Sutro manufacturing site, partner sites, and/or CMOs
- Set long-range strategies for technology development, including IP management to ensure FTO
- Lead, mentor, coach and develop technical staffs
- Represent Upstream Process Development on cross-functional teams
- Produce significant documents or publications (internal/external) supporting company policies and goals
- Present to senior management and at conferences; exert influence inside and outside Sutro through publications and meeting participation
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D. in chemical engineering, life sciences, or equivalent with at least 15 years (B.S., M.S.) or 8-10 years (Ph.D.) of biopharmaceutical industry experience in microbial fermentation/cell culture process development and optimization. Knowledge of upstream process effects on product quality expected.
- Extensive experience in scaling up and transferring fermentation/cell culture processes to pilot and/or commercial scale and demonstrated business acumen
- Experience with statistical design of experiments, advanced data analysis, and Quality by Design concepts is expected
- Experience with upstream platform process development and implementation into manufacturing scale is preferred
- At least 5 years of experience supervising technical staff, including managing managers
- Detail oriented with good organizational skills and able to work in a high paced team environment to meet deadlines and prioritize work on multiple projects.
- Proven track record of excellent communication, both verbal and written, and the ability to build and maintain relationships with partners, customers, and collaborators
Sound exciting? Apply today and join our team!
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Sutro will consider requests for reasonable accommodations.Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe in fostering a culture that is inclusive and values diversity in background and opinions. Sutro Biopharma hires extraordinary individuals into every position in the company and is committed to the diversity of our team. Our company progresses without regard of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability or citizenship status. We are dedicated to creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and succeed together.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
We look forward to hearing from candidates who are interested in exploring opportunities with Sutro! Our People & Culture team/hiring managers are unable to respond and do not accept solicitations from third-party agencies.
Sutro Biopharma, Inc., located in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage drug discovery, development and manufacturing company. Using precise protein engineering and rational design, Sutro is advancing next-generation oncology therapeutics.
Sutro is dedicated to transforming the lives of cancer patients by creating medicines with improved therapeutic profiles for areas of unmet need. To date, Sutro’s platform has led to cytokine-based immuno-oncology therapies, ADCs, vaccines and bispecific antibodies directed at precedented targets in clinical indications where the current standard of care is suboptimal.
The platform allows it to accelerate discovery and development of potential first-in-class and best-in-class molecules through rapid and systematic evaluation of protein structure-activity relationships to create optimized homogeneous product candidates.
In addition to developing its own oncology pipeline, Sutro is collaborating with select pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discover and develop novel, next-generation therapeutics. As the pace of clinical development accelerates, Sutro and its partners are developing therapeutics designed to more efficiently kill tumors without harming healthy cells.