Intellectual Property Counsel
Sutro has a unique capability that enables new molecular entities to be designed using a hybrid of synthetic and recombinant technologies to create best in class therapeutics in the oncology and auto-immune disease space. Our portfolio includes antibody-drug conjugates, bispecific antibodies, cytokine derivatives and other novel immuno-stimulatory approaches.
Reporting to the General Counsel, the Intellectual Property Counsel [alt – Corporate Counsel, Intellectual Property] will provide legal advice and support to the Company on matters relating to intellectual property generally, and specifically will co-ordinate with internal stake holders and outside counsel to ensure that the Company’s IP needs are being met at the highest level of excellence. The individual will also have the opportunity to work with the General Counsel over time to organize and develop the capacity to manage the Company’s IP portfolio using primarily internal resources.
- Influence and execute the Company’s strategy to protect its core intellectual property assets relating to both platform and product technologies in small molecule, large molecule, and synthetic methods.
- Work with outside counsel and internal stakeholders to produce the most effective U. S. and foreign patent strategies, including international filings and patent term extensions and adjustments, to protect the Company’s platform and product technologies. Review and manage the work product of outside counsel in consultation with the General Counsel.
- Conduct extensive third-party IP (FTO and landscape) analysis and provide staged guidance to internal project teams regarding these results. Attend technical project meetings to maintain visibility on technical developments inside the Company. Interact with and provide IP advice to coordinate efforts with internal research and development teams to ensure timely submission of invention disclosures, filing and prosecution of patent applications or amendments, and generation and submission of supportive data. Educate internal research and development teams as to Company IP policies and facilitate compliance with such policies.
- Work with the General Counsel to provide support for confidentiality, material transfer and other agreements as needed, and assist specifically with IP provisions in clinical trial, investigator sponsored agreements, licenses, collaborations and the like.
- Provide and/or procure ongoing legal advice on laws, regulations and guidelines related to research, development and commercialization of pharmaceuticals.
- Support continuous improvement of legal processes and operations and assist in further integrating the legal support processes with the Company as a whole.
- Provide competitive analysis of competitors and potential competitors.
- Review proposed publications or other disclosures of information outside the Company for potential IP issues.
- Represent the Company in a positive, professional manner.
- JD degree with a minimum of 4 years of patent/IP work experience, either in law firms or a large corporate law department.
- Admitted to practice before the USPTO and in the State of California.
- Graduate degree in chemistry, biochemistry or biology. Small molecule organic/pharmaceutical chemistry background is preferred.
- Demonstrated ability to advise on patent law and IP business risks.
- Demonstrated ability to guide development of and compliance with Company IP policies.
- Strong analytical skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Ability to build and lead teams.
- Provides coaching and leadership to teams and colleagues.
- Excellent business judgment related to critical IP issues, and strategic thinking capability.
- Highly motivated and independently driven with integrity and creativity.
- Ability to be flexible and provide critical and clear IP advice to internal client groups.
- Hard working, well organized and able to manage numerous projects simultaneously under deadline pressure.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, dynamic and highly team-oriented.
- Knowledge of principles and practices related to all aspects of IP law, including policies and procedures.
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
Sutro Biopharma is committed to the diversity of our team and we are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
Please be advised, inquiries or resumes from recruiters will not be accepted.