Scientist, Analytical Development (South San Francisco, CA)
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is seeking a Scientist to join our activity/impurity assay development team which supports Sutro’s clinical candidate pipeline of antibodies, antibody drug conjugates, and additional novel protein/conjugate therapeutics with primary focus on early-stage programs.
- Operate within our analytical group to design, develop, optimize, transfer, qualify and/or validate plate-based ELISAs, enzymatic, cell-based activity assays and plate- based impurity assays to support upstream/downstream development and formulation development.
- Work with minimal supervision while also working collaboratively within the Analytical group and across functional groups.
- Qualify and transfer analytical potency methods internally or to contract laboratories manage internal experiments and trend internal method performance and specifications.
- Contribute to product characterization studies as well as perform routine release assays.
- Communicate data both verbally at group meetings and through written documents and reports.
- Perform testing to support upstream/downstream development, formulation development, and manufacturing.
- Author and review SOPs, protocols, and technical reports and Health Authority submissions, e.g., IND, IMPDs, etc.
- Work collaboratively with other functional areas, external partners, and CMOs.
- Perform routine maintenance and troubleshoot instrumentation.
- Familiarity with statistical concepts related to functional cell-based assay development, optimization, and validation.
- PhD in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, immunology, cell biology or related scientific field and 3+ years of industry experience in the characterization of large molecule biologics is required OR
- BS/MS in analytical chemistry, biochemistry, molecular biology, immunology, cell biology or related scientific field and 8+ years of industry experience in the characterization of large molecule biologics is required.
- Expertise in cell biology and immunology, developing GxP potency assays to support a variety of large molecule modalities, preferably with experience in Antibody-Drug Conjugates.
- Expertise in a variety of functional potency assay technologies, such as cell line engineering to build reporter gene assays, flow cytometry, natural killer (NK) cell assays for cytotoxicity, and/or effector function assays is a plus. Strong understanding of the binding assays such as immunoassay and surface plasmon resonance is a plus.
- Strong knowledge and statistical skills for interpretation of potency data in context of broader process and product development.
- Working knowledge of regulatory guidance and quality standards, with experience authoring and reviewing regulatory submissions and responses (biologics license application submission) and interacting with Health Authorities.
- Ability to excel in a team-based environment, partnering and influencing in a professional and positive manner.
- Previous experience with commercial impurity kits is preferred.
- Proficiency in operation of Molecular Devices Softmax Pro is highly preferred.
- Experience in qPCR assays is highly preferred
- Excellent verbal and written communications skills
- Flexibility to work on multiple projects between departments in a fast-paced environment is essential.
- Excellent verbal communication, strong writing skills, and being detailed oriented are important attributes.
Sound exciting? Apply today and join our team!
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Sutro will consider requests for reasonable accommodations.
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe in fostering a culture that is inclusive and values diversity in background and opinions. Sutro Biopharma hires extraordinary individuals into every position in the company and is committed to the diversity of our team. Our company progresses without regard of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability or citizenship status. We are dedicated to creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and succeed together.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
We look forward to hearing from candidates who are interested in exploring opportunities with Sutro! Our People & Culture team/hiring managers are unable to respond and do not accept solicitations from third-party agencies.
The anticipated salary range for fully qualified candidates applying for this role at Sutro Biopharma’s California based locations will be $120,000 – $145,000 (not including bonus, equity, and benefits). The final salary offered will be dependent on several factors that include and are not limited to relevant previous experience, job responsibilities and duration of experience, the type and length of experience within the industry and education.
Sutro Biopharma, Inc., located in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage drug discovery, development and manufacturing company. Using precise protein engineering and rational design, Sutro is advancing next-generation oncology therapeutics.
Sutro is dedicated to transforming the lives of cancer patients by creating medicines with improved therapeutic profiles for areas of unmet need. To date, Sutro’s platform has led to cytokine-based immuno-oncology therapies, ADCs, vaccines and bispecific antibodies directed at precedented targets in clinical indications where the current standard of care is suboptimal.
The platform allows it to accelerate discovery and development of potential first-in-class and best-in-class molecules through rapid and systematic evaluation of protein structure-activity relationships to create optimized homogeneous product candidates.
In addition to developing its own oncology pipeline, Sutro is collaborating with select pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discover and develop novel, next-generation therapeutics. As the pace of clinical development accelerates, Sutro and its partners are developing therapeutics designed to more efficiently kill tumors without harming healthy cells.