Scientist, Chemistry (South San Francisco, CA)
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is looking for an energetic and talented Scientist to join the medicinal chemistry group reporting into the Director, Chemistry. The successful individual will help to drive preclinical advancement of our drug portfolios within the chemistry group.
- Synthesize novel small-molecule anti-cancer drugs, linkers, and linker-payloads with functionalities suitable for covalent site-specific conjugation to proteins
- Working within the team to help identify the most promising candidate linker payloads while taking the steps required to progress these toward pre-clinical evaluations
- Execute procedures from standard ACS-style experimental descriptions and work independently, while still receiving direction and support from your supervisor and teammates
- Engage in cross functional teamwork, including computational-, analytical- and biochemical chemists, to execute research projects
- Apply modern techniques of solution- and solid-phase organic synthesis including a variety of organic reactions at several scales, microwave chemistry, inert atmosphere techniques
- Participate in general laboratory and chemistry responsibilities, compound registration and small molecule (reagent) cataloging
- Contribute to patent application writing and research reports
- Maintain an easily comprehended laboratory notebook and a record of the chemical analyses of all synthetic compounds, both intermediates and final products
- Ph.D. in organic chemistry with strong emphasis on multistep organic synthesis, preferably with total synthesis background
- Experience in modern synthetic organic chemistry techniques, designing new synthetic routes for biologically active molecules and carrying out multi-step synthesis in milligram to multi-gram scale
- Hands-on experience with purification techniques (normal and reverse phase chromatography, crystallization)
- Hands-on experience with analytical and purification instruments (HPLC, LC-MS, flash chromatography and NMR, etc.)
- Good lab notebook and writing skills
- Familiarity with chemistry software such as SciFinder
- Good problem-solving skills and a strong sense of teamwork
- Excellent oral and written communication skills are essential
Sound exciting? Apply today and join our team!
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. requires all new hires to be fully vaccinated for COVID-19 prior to the first date of employment. As required by applicable law, Sutro will consider requests for reasonable accommodations.
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe in fostering a culture that is inclusive and values diversity in background and opinions. Sutro Biopharma hires extraordinary individuals into every position in the company and is committed to the diversity of our team. Our company progresses without regard of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability, or citizenship status. We are dedicated to creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and succeed together.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
We look forward to hearing from candidates who are interested in exploring opportunities with Sutro! Our People & Culture team/hiring managers are unable to respond and do not accept solicitations from third-party agencies.
Sutro Biopharma, Inc., located in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage drug discovery, development, and manufacturing company. Using precise protein engineering and rational design, Sutro is advancing next-generation oncology therapeutics.
Sutro is dedicated to transforming the lives of cancer patients by creating medicines with improved therapeutic profiles for areas of unmet need. To date, Sutro’s platform has led to cytokine-based immuno-oncology therapies, ADCs, vaccines, and bispecific antibodies directed at precedented targets in clinical indications where the current standard of care is suboptimal.
The platform allows it to accelerate discovery and development of potential first-in-class and best-in-class molecules through rapid and systematic evaluation of protein structure-activity relationships to create optimized homogeneous product candidates.
In addition to developing its own oncology pipeline, Sutro is collaborating with select pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discover and develop novel, next-generation therapeutics. As the pace of clinical development accelerates, Sutro and its partners are developing therapeutics designed to more efficiently kill tumors without harming healthy cells.