Scientist, Prokaryotic Fermentation and Protein Expression
Sutro Biopharma, Inc., located in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage drug discovery, development and manufacturing company. Using precise protein engineering and rational design, Sutro is advancing next-generation oncology therapeutics.
Sutro is dedicated to transforming the lives of cancer patients by creating medicines with improved therapeutic profiles for areas of unmet need. To date, Sutro’s platform has led to cytokine-based immuno-oncology therapies, ADCs, vaccines and bispecific antibodies directed at precedented targets in clinical indications where the current standard of care is suboptimal.
The platform allows it to accelerate discovery and development of potential first-in-class and best-in-class molecules through rapid and systematic evaluation of protein structure-activity relationships to create optimized homogeneous product candidates.
In addition to developing its own oncology pipeline, Sutro is collaborating with select pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discover and develop novel, next-generation therapeutics. As the pace of clinical development accelerates, Sutro and its partners are developing therapeutics designed to more efficiently kill tumors without harming healthy cells.
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is looking for an energetic and talented individual to join our multidisciplinary Protein Biochemistry team as we change the future of oncology. While collaborating with cross-functional departments, you will play a key role in maximizing our technology and progressing our novel therapeutics. We are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of patients, both as individuals and as part of a team.
- Working to understand and improve the performance of a bacterial based cell free system for biosynthesis of secreted mammalian proteins.
- Designing and executing experiments on prokaryotic fermentation, protein expression, downstream processing, and analysis.
- Proficiency in prokaryotic strain growth in vivoprotein expression and analysis of expressed protein products.
- Required to interface with external collaborators, make presentations to outside collaborators as well as senior management, and to author internal and external publications.
- Considered a highly motivated team player with excellent problem-solving skills, organizational skills, and practice in prokaryotic strain fermentation and protein production.
- Able to be flexible and versatile as tasks involve a combination of bioreactor operations, fermentations, and protein expressions.
- Ph.D. in Chemical engineering, or a related discipline, with 2 years of industry of postdoctoral work, MS with 5 years of experience, or BS with 7 years of experience.
- Required experience in growing recombinant coliin a bioreactor with preferred skill in optimizing growth and protein expression.
- Hands-on experience with DasGip or Biostat bioreactors and statistical experimental design or analysis (e.g. JMP).
- Proficiency with common protein analytical techniques including SDS-PAGE, Western blotting, and ELISA.
- Preferred additional experience with analytical methods applied to proteins (e.g. HPLC analysis using SEC, HIC, Caliper, Mass spec, MALDI, and set-up of activity assays).
- Familiarity with various research-scale affinity methods for protein purification, including nickel-IMAC, protein A, protein G, etc.
- Capability in working on cross-functional teams and managing others.
Sound exciting? Apply today and join our team!
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe in fostering a culture that is inclusive and values diversity in background and opinions. Sutro Biopharma hires extraordinary individuals into every position in the company and is committed to the diversity of our team. Our company progresses without regard of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability or citizenship status. We are dedicated to creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and succeed together.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
Please be advised, inquiries or resumes from recruiters will not be accepted.