Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is looking for an energetic and talented individual to join the multidisciplinary Protein Biochemistry group within the Research Department. You will be working to understand and improve the performance of a novel prokaryotic system for biosynthesis of secreted mammalian proteins by designing and executing experiments on protein expression, downstream processing and analysis. Responsibilities extend from gene design through strain characterization, pilot scale protein expression and processing and analysis of expressed protein product. The successful candidate will design & validate protein expression appropriate to the scale, number-of-samples, and required purity level for the given project, and will implement appropriate assays to characterize product and to better understand the technology and process. In addition, the successful candidate will be required to interface with external collaborators, make presentations to outside collaborators and senior management, and to author internal and external publications.
We are seeking a highly-motivated team-player with excellent problem-solving skills and experience in protein production, purification and analysis. Versatility is a must, as tasks will involve multiple different expression modalities, scales and purities. Good organizational skills and the ability to manage projects within a timeline are essential.
- The ideal candidate will have the following background/skill set:
- Ph.D. in Biochemistry or a related discipline, with 3+ years industry experience or 2+ years postdoc experience
- Experience working with in vivo protein expression required. Experience working with antibodies or antibody fragments preferred
- Hands on experience optimizing and evaluating protein expression strains
- Experience producing protein in prokaryotic high density fermentation strongly preferred
- Familiarity with molecular biology techniques including cloning, PCR, gene knock-ins and knock-outs
- Proficiency with common protein analytical techniques including SDS-PAGE, Western blotting and ELISA
- Experience with additional analytical methods applied to proteins is preferred. Methods might include HPLC analysis using SEC, HIC, Caliper, Mass spec, MALDI, and set-up of activity assays
- Familiarity with sequence analysis software, such as Vector NTI
- Hands on experience with various research-scale affinity methods for protein purification, including nickel-IMAC, protein A, protein G etc
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, and stock options.