Senior Research Associate, Process Development Downstream
Sutro Biopharma, Inc., located in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage drug discovery, development and manufacturing company. Using precise protein engineering and rational design, Sutro is advancing next-generation oncology therapeutics.
Sutro is dedicated to transforming the lives of cancer patients by creating medicines with improved therapeutic profiles for areas of unmet need. To date, Sutro’s platform has led to cytokine-based immuno-oncology therapies, ADCs, vaccines and bispecific antibodies directed at precedented targets in clinical indications where the current standard of care is suboptimal.
The platform allows it to accelerate discovery and development of potential first-in-class and best-in-class molecules through rapid and systematic evaluation of protein structure-activity relationships to create optimized homogeneous product candidates.
In addition to developing its own oncology pipeline, Sutro is collaborating with select pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discover and develop novel, next-generation therapeutics. As the pace of clinical development accelerates, Sutro and its partners are developing therapeutics designed to more efficiently kill tumors without harming healthy cells.
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is seeking a driven and talented individual to join our team as we change the future of oncology. While collaborating with cross-functional departments, you will play a key role in maximizing our technology and progressing our novel therapeutics. We are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of patients, both as individuals and as part of a team.
The candidate hired for this position will join a productive and professional downstream process development team, and work with other CMC groups. You will be responsible for purification process development and tech transfer of downstream processing methodologies to GMP manufacturing.
Essential Lab Responsibilities:
- Develop, characterize, validate, and implement scalable purification process from laboratory to manufacturing scale. Designs, executes, and interprets lab results with minimal guidance.
- Applies engineering principles, scientific knowledge, and techniques to solve problems.
- Monitor process results, identify problems and develop solutions.
- Conducts research and development activities with chromatography using AKTA systems, TFF UF/DF (Hollow Fiber/Cassettes), centrifugation, depth filtration, and flocculation.
- Generates antibody intermediates for drug conjugation
- Executes purification runs to provide support for cell-free expression studies, analytical/formulation, and Tox supply
- Presents consolidated results to the development groups and the company
Responsibilities in manufacturing support and tech transfer:
- Scale up, tech transfer, and manufacturing support
- Demonstrate purification design through consistency runs and robustness evaluation
- Tech transfer purification process to manufacture plant
- Supports manufacture through process demonstration, person-in-plant coverage, and troubleshoot manufacturing issues when necessary
- Writes technology transfer reports and SOPs, provide organized experiment summaries for regulatory documentations
- Maintains documentation of experiments and/or batch records according to good documentation practice
A successful candidate is expected to have solid bench skills and good understanding of protein purification theories, methodologies, and techniques.
- BS/MS in scientific discipline with 5-8+ years of related experience in biochemistry, chemical engineering or other relevant disciplines
- Strong hands-on experience using AKTA for IEX, Affinity, HIC, MMC, and SEC
- Demonstrated ability to design, execute and analyze experiments independently
- Strong organization skills in experiment recording and data summary with strong attention to details.
- Experience in design of experiments (DOE) is desirable
- Experience in purification of un-tagged coli recombinant proteins from milligram to gram scale is desirable
- Must have excellent time management skills and the ability to multitask/prioritize work in order to support organizational needs, meet deadlines and timeframes
- Excellent communication skills to work collaboratively in a team environment
- Additional desirable skills including protein-drug conjugation, high-throughput purification using robotics (ie TECAN HTS), automation, light scattering, HPLC, and technical documentation capabilities.
- Effective and strong problem-solving capabilities is a must.
Sound exciting? Apply today and join our team!
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe in fostering a culture that is inclusive and values diversity in background and opinions. Sutro Biopharma hires extraordinary individuals into every position in the company and is committed to the diversity of our team. Our company progresses without regard of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability or citizenship status. We are dedicated to creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and succeed together.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
Please be advised, inquiries or resumes from recruiters will not be accepted.