Senior Research Associate, Research Protein Purification (South San Francisco, CA)
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is looking for an energetic and talented individual to join its multidisciplinary Protein Biochemistry team. As a protein purification scientist, you will be a main part of downstream processing in research, supporting the small scale drug discovery process. You will work closely with the other aspects of research, working together to generate material vital to Sutro’s goals and troubleshooting when necessary. Located in The Cove, South San Francisco, you will have access to many amenities as well to thrive at Sutro.
- Execute protein purification methods on a weekly basis to support research priorities and goals.
- Develop and optimize purification strategies for research targets using various chromatographic techniques including but not limited to affinity, SEC, IEX, RP-HPLC, and HIC.
- Generate, collect, independently analyze, and presentation of scientific findings at internal research and project team meetings.
- Perform characterization on proteins using analytical techniques (e.g., SDS-PAGE, HPLC chromatography, Western Blot, LAL assay, spectrophotometry, etc.).
- Execute methods for buffer exchange, filtration, and separations using TFF, depth filtration systems, and centrifugation.
- Work efficiently, collaboratively, and cross-functionally toward project timelines and goals.
- Maintain electronic notebook entries and protein inventory databases.
- BS or MS in Biochemistry, Chemical Engineering or a related discipline, and at least 4-5 years of experience in purifying proteins to clinical quality at low mg to gram scale from bacterial or mammalian expression systems.
- Solid, proven hands on experience in column chromatography, protein purification method development and optimization including a deep understanding of chromatography methods such as IEX, HIC, RP, Affinity, SEC.
- Hands on experience with purification FPLC instrumentation such as Akta Explorer/Avant.
- Deep and broad knowledge of protein analytical assays including chromatographic and biophysical characterization methods such as HPLC (SEC, IEX, RP), capillary electrophoresis, SDS-Page, LAL Assay, in addition to hands on experience with HPLC instrumentation such as Agilent/Dionex.
- Development and operation of TFF equipment including varying membrane devices and cartridges.
- Experience with mAbs and antibody related products is preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously and multitask while maintaining efficiency in time management.
- Ability to work as a member of a team to perform a variety of weekly responsibilities to support ongoing program efforts. This includes downstream recovery support for all groups, including weekly presentations for related project team meetings.
Sound exciting? Apply today and join our team!
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe in fostering a culture that is inclusive and values diversity in background and opinions. Sutro Biopharma hires extraordinary individuals into every position in the company and is committed to the diversity of our team. Our company progresses without regard of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability or citizenship status. We are dedicated to creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and succeed together.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
Please be advised, inquiries or resumes from recruiters will not be accepted.
Sutro Biopharma, Inc., located in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage drug discovery, development and manufacturing company. Using precise protein engineering and rational design, Sutro is advancing next-generation oncology therapeutics.
Sutro is dedicated to transforming the lives of cancer patients by creating medicines with improved therapeutic profiles for areas of unmet need. To date, Sutro’s platform has led to cytokine-based immuno-oncology therapies, ADCs, vaccines and bispecific antibodies directed at precedented targets in clinical indications where the current standard of care is suboptimal.
The platform allows it to accelerate discovery and development of potential first-in-class and best-in-class molecules through rapid and systematic evaluation of protein structure-activity relationships to create optimized homogeneous product candidates.
In addition to developing its own oncology pipeline, Sutro is collaborating with select pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discover and develop novel, next-generation therapeutics. As the pace of clinical development accelerates, Sutro and its partners are developing therapeutics designed to more efficiently kill tumors without harming healthy cells.