Senior Research Associate, Upstream Process Development
Sutro Biopharma, Inc., located in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage drug discovery, development and manufacturing company. Using precise protein engineering and rational design, Sutro is advancing next-generation oncology therapeutics.
Sutro is dedicated to transforming the lives of cancer patients by creating medicines with improved therapeutic profiles for areas of unmet need. To date, Sutro’s platform has led to cytokine-based immuno-oncology therapies, ADCs, vaccines and bispecific antibodies directed at precedented targets in clinical indications where the current standard of care is suboptimal.
The platform allows it to accelerate discovery and development of potential first-in-class and best-in-class molecules through rapid and systematic evaluation of protein structure-activity relationships to create optimized homogeneous product candidates.
In addition to developing its own oncology pipeline, Sutro is collaborating with select pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discover and develop novel, next-generation therapeutics. As the pace of clinical development accelerates, Sutro and its partners are developing therapeutics designed to more efficiently kill tumors without harming healthy cells.
Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is seeking a driven and talented individual to join our upstream process development team as we change the future of oncology. While collaborating with cross-functional departments, you will play a key role in maximizing our technology and progressing our novel therapeutics. We are dedicated to making a difference in the lives of patients, both as individuals and as part of a team.
- Support routine E. coli fermentation development over a large range of scales (0.25L to 200 L). Analyze data and present results at technical meetings.
- Basic maintenance of laboratory equipment including fermentor, centrifuge, and homogenizer. Troubleshoot equipment-related issues.
- Prepare media and buffers. Generate cell banks. Perform routine sample analysis including optical density, dry/wet cell weight, metabolites, and SDS-PAGE.
- Manage raw material (chemicals and consumables) inventory and replenish stocks.
- Contribute to the authoring of SOPs and technical reports.
- B.S. in biochemical engineering, life sciences, or a related discipline with at least 4 years of process development and scale-up experience in the biopharmaceutical industry.
- Understanding of microbial recombinant protein expression processes (fermentation, centrifugation, cell disruption). Significant experience with fed-batch fermentation is expected.
- Hands-on experience with stainless steel fermentors, CIP, SIP, medium sterilization methods is preferred. Familiarity with process control loops and associated instrumentation is a plus.
- Experience with B. Braun/Sartorius fermentation control systems and statistical experimental design/analysis (e.g., JMP) preferred.
- Proven track record of excellent communication, both verbal and written, and the ability to build and maintain relationships with partners, customers, and collaborators.
Sound exciting? Apply today and join our team!
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe in fostering a culture that is inclusive and values diversity in background and opinions. Sutro Biopharma hires extraordinary individuals into every position in the company and is committed to the diversity of our team. Our company progresses without regard of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability or citizenship status. We are dedicated to creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and succeed together.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
Please be advised, inquiries or resumes from recruiters will not be accepted.