Senior Scientist, Protein Engineering (South San Francisco, CA)
Sutro Biopharma is a clinical stage company pioneering a compelling and unique way of discovering, developing, and manufacturing therapeutics. Our focus is aimed primarily on next generation cancer and autoimmune therapeutics — antibody conjugates, bispecific antibodies, and cytokine derivatives. Unconstrained by traditional methods of cell-based discovery, we can design and develop targeted medicines by innovating outside the constraints of the cell.
At Sutro, our unique protein discovery platform enables us to design and discover best-in-class molecules. We collaborate with biology and translational scientists to prosecute targets and create biologic modalities with disease modifying potential in the oncology and auto-immune space. We leverage internal and external technologies to deliver the next generation of breakthrough therapeutic proteins.
We are currently seeking a talented scientist to join our exciting, fast-paced working environment. This role encompasses designing, directing, and troubleshooting biologic discovery workstreams. As a key contributor in the Discovery team, a successful candidate will set project direction and track progress, mentor team members, and expand organizational capabilities to develop novel biologics that impact patient outcomes.
- Discover novel biologics by designing, constructing, and selecting combinatorial libraries (eg. phage or ribosome display)
- Optimize lead antibody or protein candidates by affinity maturation, structure-guided designs, and in silico assessments
- Translate strategic initiatives into actionable plans to push new research programs forward
- Engage with cross-functional project teams to ensure progress of protein engineering campaigns
- Establish new technologies that build on our capabilities to target challenging tumor antigens, engineer new biologic formats, and maximize the potential of our CellFree platform
- Communicate key findings at project team meetings and propose paths to effectively design and interrogate drug molecules
- PhD with 7 plus years of experience in Molecular Biology, Protein Engineering, or a related field, with demonstrated expertise in antibody discovery and/or protein engineering
- Understanding of structure-function protein relationships to guide protein engineering
- Expertise in a wide range of molecular biology skills including PCR methods, vector design, and related software
- Capability to analyze high-throughput sequence datasets
- Previous experience with combinatorial library display methods (eg. yeast, phage) and/or antibody discovery and engineering is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and think critically
- Highly self-motivated and capable of working successfully within a team environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Sound exciting? Apply today and join our team!
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
As an equal opportunity employer, we believe in fostering a culture that is inclusive and values diversity in background and opinions. Sutro Biopharma hires extraordinary individuals into every position in the company and is committed to the diversity of our team. Our company progresses without regard of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, religious belief, age, disability or citizenship status. We are dedicated to creating a safe environment where our employees can grow and succeed together.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
Please be advised, inquiries or resumes from recruiters will not be accepted.
Sutro Biopharma, Inc., located in South San Francisco, is a clinical-stage drug discovery, development and manufacturing company. Using precise protein engineering and rational design, Sutro is advancing next-generation oncology therapeutics.
Sutro is dedicated to transforming the lives of cancer patients by creating medicines with improved therapeutic profiles for areas of unmet need. To date, Sutro’s platform has led to cytokine-based immuno-oncology therapies, ADCs, vaccines and bispecific antibodies directed at precedented targets in clinical indications where the current standard of care is suboptimal.
The platform allows it to accelerate discovery and development of potential first-in-class and best-in-class molecules through rapid and systematic evaluation of protein structure-activity relationships to create optimized homogeneous product candidates.
In addition to developing its own oncology pipeline, Sutro is collaborating with select pharmaceutical and biotech companies to discover and develop novel, next-generation therapeutics. As the pace of clinical development accelerates, Sutro and its partners are developing therapeutics designed to more efficiently kill tumors without harming healthy cells.