Senior Scientist, Protein Engineering
Sutro Biopharma is a clinical stage company pioneering a compelling and unique way of discovering, developing, and manufacturing therapeutics. Our focus is aimed primarily on next generation cancer and autoimmune therapeutics — antibody conjugates, bispecific antibodies, and cytokine derivatives. Unconstrained by traditional methods of cell-based discovery, we can design and develop targeted medicines by innovating outside the constraints of the cell.
At Sutro, our unique protein discovery platform enables us to design and discover best-in-class molecules. We collaborate with biology and translational scientists to prosecute targets and create biologic modalities with disease modifying potential in the oncology and auto-immune space. We leverage internal and external technologies to deliver the next generation of breakthrough therapeutic proteins.
We are currently seeking a talented scientist to join our exciting, fast-paced working environment. This role encompasses designing, directing, and troubleshooting biologic discovery workstreams. As a key contributor in the Discovery team, a successful candidate will set project direction and track progress, mentor team members, and expand organizational capabilities to develop novel biologics that impact patient outcomes.
- Discover novel biologics by designing, constructing, and selecting combinatorial libraries (eg. phage or ribosome display)
- Optimize lead antibody or protein candidates by affinity maturation, structure-guided designs, and in silico assessments
- Translate strategic initiatives into actionable plans to push new research programs forward
- Engage with cross-functional project teams to ensure progress of protein engineering campaigns
- Establish new technologies that build on our capabilities to target challenging tumor antigens, engineer new biologic formats, and maximize the potential of our CellFree platform
- Communicate key findings at project team meetings and propose paths to effectively design and interrogate drug molecules
- PhD in Molecular Biology, Protein Engineering, or a related field, with demonstrated expertise in antibody discovery and/or protein engineering
- Understanding of structure-function protein relationships to guide protein engineering
- Expertise in a wide range of molecular biology skills including PCR methods, vector design, and related software
- Capability to analyze high-throughput sequence datasets
- Previous experience with combinatorial library display methods (eg. yeast, phage) and/or antibody discovery and engineering is preferred
- Demonstrated ability to multi-task and think critically
- Highly self-motivated and capable of working successfully within a team environment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, ESPP (Employee Stock Purchase Plan) and stock options.
Sutro Biopharma is committed to the diversity of our team and we are committed to Equal Employment Opportunity without regard for race, ethnicity, gender, protected veteran status, disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or religion.
Salaries listed on jobsites may not be representative of salary ranges at Sutro Biopharma.
Please be advised, inquiries or resumes from recruiters will not be accepted.