Sutro Biopharma, Inc. is looking for energetic and talented individuals to join its multidisciplinary research and development team. You will be working to develop new processes to maximize our technology and enhance our internal and collaborative product development initiatives in a fast-paced environment.
Sutro has a unique capability that enables new molecular entities to be designed using a hybrid of synthetic and recombinant technologies to create best in class therapeutics in the oncology and auto-immune disease space. We are now looking for a talented chemistry leader who will work alongside our industry-leading cell-free protein engineers at the forefront of rapid and precise design. Experience with small molecule medicinal chemistry leadership, synthetic peptide discovery and development and process R&D would all be of value. Prior experience in the immuno-oncology field would be useful; though not necessary.
- Reporting directly to the Chief Scientific Officer provide strategic leadership to evaluate new areas of opportunity to uniquely engage Sutro’s platform for new best in class therapeutics
- Provides operational leadership for the planning, management, and execution of new chemistry initiatives, leading our medicinal chemistry based new lead generation
- Provides leadership for the evaluation and creation of new capabilities at the interface of recombinant and synthetic design including novel conjugation technologies enabling coupling of novel non-natural amino acids to synthetic moieties
- Defines strategies for, and coordinate the execution of, process R&D to support cGMP production, investigational new drug applications, drug master files, new drug applications and equivalent international filings
- Advise project teams and collaborate cross-functionally with clinical, preclinical, pharmaceutical development, CMC, commercial and external resources to establish and facilitate global development plans
- Cultivate an open and collaborative culture
- Builds and manages relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, including strategic partners and consultants
- Champions new ways of meeting targets and/or goals; anticipates and plans for future issues or problems; facilitates the rapid transfer of best practices
- Develops and maintains responsive, motivated and efficient teams to ensure results orientation and continuous improvement; develops policies and procedures as appropriate
- Manages, coaches, and mentors direct and indirect reports
- Bachelor’s degree in a scientific discipline is required, PhD required in synthetic chemistry
- Minimum of 10 years of progressively responsible experience in a pharmaceutical, biotechnology, or contract research organization (CRO), including significant experience in a leadership role
- Proven record of success in generating novel lead molecules with desired drug like attributes
- Experience with support of INDs , CTAs, DMFs, briefing packages, and amendments required during IND and CTA lifecycles
- Familiarity with Chemistry, Manufacturing, and Control (CMC), Pharmacovigilance and Quality, related matters and their intersection with Regulatory Affairs
- Demonstrated leadership ability and experience managing, coaching and mentoring direct reports and building a chemistry group
- Exceptional relationship-building skills with internal and external stakeholders, including, cross-functional partners, consultants
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills; ability to clearly articulate viewpoints effectively to different functions
- Successful management of projects to completion meeting budgets and timelines
- Comfortable with setting strategies as well as taking a hands-on approach to operational direction and priorities
Sutro provides a competitive benefits package that includes a choice of health, dental, and vision insurance, life insurance, flexible spending accounts, 401K plan, PTO, and stock options.